Saturday, July 21, 2007

Eric and Angel, pt. 3

(Continued from previous post . . . )

I suppose there were things I could've told Eric and Angel about myself that would have explained, at least a little, why I was hanging out with strangers at the grocery store on a Saturday morning. Like how I must've subconsciously missed being a Girl Scout in the South, helping folks cross the street and carry their groceries. Or how I worshipped my parents, who were always involved with stuff like Meals on Wheels and the Vaughn House, an organization in Austin that helps people with multiple disabilities. Maybe I could have talked about how when I was a little kid, Mom, Dad, and I adopted a fluffy stray cat from an alley behind a club and named it Hearne, after our friends Bill and Bonnie Hearne, a couple of folk singers who had been playing there and who were both legally blind and physically challenged. And I definitely could have talked for hours about Joe B. Friedel, the great-grandfather who was larger than life to me until he died when I was 16 and whose eyes I never got to see.

I had always known Grandpa Friedel to be completely blind, since he was shot by a friend in a hunting accident in his 20s. Some of my fondest childhood memories include him: going for walks in the tiny town of Graham, Texas, when my family visited every summer, him using a cane like Eric and me holding on like Angel; playing dominoes together at the kitchen table (the black pieces dotted by white indentions Joe. B. could feel); buying hair metal magazines from the Woolworth's and reading them in the living room while Grandpa sat in his easy chair; listening to his famous stories of running a soda stand at the county courthouse downtown; laughing hysterically when he returned from the town square one day with my tiny sister Meg, boasting of how he had asked the clerk for a marriage license for the two of them (who were not only related but about 80 years apart in age). Once, the town newspaper, the Graham Leader, published a photo (near Meg's and my favorite section, the police blotter) announcing with joy that my sister, my cousin, and I were coming for a visit.

I could have told Eric and Angel all that. (I also could've told them that sometimes I wonder if I'll ever fit in anywhere like I used to in Texas and that helping people makes me feel like at least I'm doing what I can to be a good neighbor.) But I really just wanted to hear their stories and bask in such a beautiful friendship, so I kept myself to myself. I didn't even really think about all of the above until I finally made it home from the gym.

My time with Eric and Angel today wasn't some epic event. I doubt I changed their lives at all -- they were doing just fine together without me and I'm sure they still will. But meeting them was special to me, more than words can say. A beloved family member is nearing the end of his life right now -- this post is already too long, so I'll save that for another day -- but suffice it to say that lately I've been thinking a lot of about disability, illness, and how we handle life's challenges. I've also been thinking, as I tend to do, about how to make sure this life is lived to the fullest. Eric and Angel were a ray of sunshine in my day, an example of what's really important in this too-short life. I hope they made it to the park today. I hope Eric feels at home in Texas. And I hope Angel gets to visit him there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, um...I read an earlier post of yours that I came across when searching specifically for "American Music Abroad 1984". I also sang in Europe that year with AMA, orginally slated to travel with the BLUE tour, but then switched to RED (or vice versa; it's been centuries, but I'm fairly certain I've got it right.) Richard...from Richmond, VA. Did we travel together??? Wouldn't that be a coincidence! If you'd like, you can reach me at scubadiver (spelled backwards!) at mac dot com. Be well and happy - Rich

Anonymous said...

Hi - Never mind. Melicious has straightened it out for me. Ask her to tell you the story someday.

The Traveler said...

Just wanted tosay that I have forgotten you, JETC! readers . . . Hopefully technical difficulties will be resolved today and I'll have new posts for you. :) In the meantime, please enjoy my other blog at myspace.com/erinplaysbass and mark your calendars for my big 30th birthday bash at the Double Door, one of Chicago's greatest rock clubs, with my band The Hidden Mitten. Doors open at 8 on September 4. We play at 10. Can't wait to see you and celebrate what has been, to say the least, my favorite three decades EVER.

LOVE & GUITARS,
Erin