Monday, January 22, 2007

I Was A 27-Year-Old Teenager On A Mission! (Pt. 8: Homeward Bound)


TODAY'S QUESTION FOR COMMENTING: Do you remember a time when you realized you'd outgrown something you used to love? Chime in at the bottom, after the post! -- Erin :)

(Continued from yesterday . . . )

Friday, July 15, 2005


3:20 p.m.

An hour ago I wondered whether I still cared about this book discussion. Now, I am sure. I don't care. I do not even remotely care. I mean, come on, who discusses books anymore? Who even reads? Didn't I hear that radio or Betamax will be the death of print any day now?

At this point, I feel like when you wait in line for hours to get into a concert or some big new movie, and by the time the main event arrives, you're so tired you fall asleep in your seat just as the newly, digitally inserted Jabba the Hutt shuffles on screen. (And the nerds in your row do not appreciate it when you start muttering in your sleep about how "Fraggle Rock is totally better than this shit.")

It doesn't seem possible, but I am over the book discussion without even going to it in the first place. How over it am I? Let's see. I'm over it like Julia Roberts is over Lyle Lovett. I'm over it like Eddie Van Halen is over David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar, and Valeria Bertinelli all put together. I'm so over it, if you climbed a magic beanstalk high into a city of clouds, then took the elevator to the 96th floor of the second tallest building in that city, and then took your $9 martini from the swanky bar of said building and climbed up the radio needle on top until you were so high over the city that you could barely breathe because the air was so thin -- well, you would still not be nearly as over the cloud city as I am over the book discussion.

That's right. I'm fickle. I'm dealing with it.

But before I give up my ridiculous charade, I'm going to do one last teenagery thing -- I am going to whine. Waah. I want to go hoooome. Not home to a messy bedroom in my parents' house, like I'd do if I weren't of age, but home to my messy, grown-up apartment. (Which is actually not so grown-up, to be honest. My husband calls it "the yuppie dorm." There's a gym, computer lab, and shared big-screen TV lounge in the building, and college students have even started moving in. The residents throw glorified frat parties on the roof with disturbing regularity, leaving signs on the door to the patio saying "Please don't bring glass. Plastic cups provided. Thanx! -- DJ Mel.")

But even if my apartment building is a glorified animal house, it's home. There are chips and salsa in the kitchen (with no security guard to stop me from eating them) and a Popular DVD waiting in the mailbox. Come to think of it, Popular is a show in which people my age pretend to be high schoolers. How appropriate. I think I'll just go home and watch other people get paid to lie about their age instead of doing it myself for free.

3:30 p.m.

On the way home, I'm feeling bad about wussing out, so I stop to console myself at the happiest place on earth (AKA a burrito place). After I ask for a chicken burrito with no rice and extra cheese and super hot salsa, the teenage girl behind the counter reaches over and stabs me in the heart with a metaphorical plastic spork.

She nods, smiles, and hands me my receipt. "Yes, ma'am."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I first outgrew something I loved when I wouldn't fit into my superman pajamas anymore.

And the 2XL, the toy robot that asked questions. It kind of lost its charm when I realised that if the answer was wrong you could just press a different button and pretend you were right all along. It took me three years to notice that mind!

Mixtape Jones said...

I'm not sure, but I think that Jesus Jones might fall into that category. I mean, when I was in high school and first purchased both the DOUBT and LIQUIDIZER albums, I really, honestly thought that I would like Jesus Jones forever. I wasn't interested in music that I felt was of a "passing fancy" type of quality, therefore if I liked Jesus Jones, that meant that they were automatically going to be lifetime companions of mine.

And then, sometime around freshman year of college, I realized that I had absolutely no use for them anymore. I replaced my cassette copy of DOUBT on cd, and promptly regretted shelling out the $5 or whatever for the used disc. When was I ever going to listen to this record again?

A couple of the songs on LIQUIDIZER still give me a hardcore nostalgia, but at some point I just burned the songs I liked off both discs and jettisoned them. Oh well. Thank God for the Beatles, Frank Zappa, They Might Be Giants, R.E.M. and Guided By Voices. Jesus Jones they will never be.

Anonymous said...

Hey a new Reader! Wicked! Makes me overuse exclamation marks! I'm so excited I could Poop!

Oh crap...

Will be linking to your blog in a post soon, keep an eye out!

...I need to go clean up.