Thursday, February 1, 2007

No Sleep 'Til Wisconsin! (Pt. 3: Meet the Metra)

TODAY'S QUESTION FOR COMMENTING: Ever had a wacky public transit experience? Chime in at the bottom, after the post! -- Erin :)

October 2006, Chicago, Illinois
(Continued from Tuesday's pt. 2 post.)


Where was I? Oh, yes, I was bounding down the steps of the Metra station and into collegiate/shopping wonderland of downtown Evanston, Illinois. Which, if you’re keeping track, is NOT in Wisconsin.

As my Converse hit the concrete, I was almost knocked down by the even more purposeful bounding of a man with salt-and-pepper hair and easily the most ludicrous pants I’ve seen since the Personals went thrift store shopping in Madison (which actually IS in Wisconsin) in May. These pants were pouffy and gave the illusion that the wearer had no knees. The pants' graphic print fabric was covered in kitchen utensils and salt and pepper shakers. Is this guy dressing to metaphorically match his hair? I wondered, before remembering that Evanston is, or at least was, home to a fancy-pants culinary institute. I gave the guy a free pass from the fashion police, hoping to god his fancy pants were his school uniform.

But speaking of fancy, let’s talk about the train before it chugga-chuggas out of the station. The Metra is the Cadillac of Chicago public transportation. Much as I love the El, compared to the Metra, those trains are rusty, flat-tired El Caminos. If you’re going to catch fire or derail from time to time, and serve as a urine receptacle for the city's homeless and/or frat guys, you don’t get to be the Jaguar or even the Jetta. (FYI, the bus is the bus.)

The Metra costs more – I shelled out $6.40 for my ticket from Wicker Park to Kenosha, vs. $2 for any El ride – and it costs more for good reason. It’s faster. It’s cleaner. The seats are comfier. Since it’s double-decker, you immediately feel like you’re riding one of those cute red buses in London, waving at the queen's guards from the top deck and trying to get them to crack a smile by hollering lewd puns about their big, furry hats and sharp, shiny swords (or maybe that was just me). Also, I took the Metra to see Cheap Trick for my birthday. So I heart it, plain and simple.

What’s most notable about the Metra, though, could be the riders. I can’t say what the people in the lower cars are like or what they’re doing down there because I try not to associate with people who would pass up the chance to ride up top. (What’s wrong with them? You can ride on ground level any time!) But in my car – the caboose, of course – it was clear that Metra riders are a slightly different breed. I have only two Metra rides to draw from, but I’m going to generalize anyway. (It’s my saga. I can do that.) In short, they look richer and whiter than anyone I have ever seen on public transportation.

Meet the people on the top level of the caboose with me: a man with a tie and wire-rim glasses scribbling in a legal pad; another guy pretty much the same, only slightly older, with no tie, highlighting documents instead; three men reading newspapers (none of which were Streetwise or even USA Today); a middle-aged woman in a suit whom I had assumed was a man when I sat down in front of her (She seemed peeved that I was looking around, surveying the train car . . . people don’t like it when you look around but that’s just tough. Far as I know, I've only got one shot at life on this planet, and I'M GONNA LOOK AROUND, BITCHES!); a younger, spiffier woman with an Ipod, also in a suit; and the exceptions to the rule – a girl in a pink hoodie and sneakers staring out the window and a younger guy who looked like an extra from the film Heavy Metal Parking Lot wearing a t-shirt that urged some wrestler or rapper I’d never heard of to rest in peace.

That’s who the riders were. Which means they weren’t trudging from car to car asking for “spare change,” rambling about lost tabs of LSD and how they see better without their glasses. No one is eating tortillas off the seat. I imagine they were thinking your basic nonthreatening, boring people thoughts: Should I make rice or potatoes with the chicken tonight? When is Sheryll Crow going to play the Midwest again? Isn't it about time pleated pants came back in style?

All these train people made me want to be around my people again -- people who could speak extemporaneously on the relative merits of Cinderella (the band, not the fairytale) versus Ratt (the band, not the vermin). I had an hour to kill before the train to Kenosha chugged into the station -- not a lot of time to safely skip down memory lane at Northwestern and be back without missing the train. And I'd be damned if I was missing another train!

As the caboose stopped and I bounded onto the platform at Evanston’s Davis Street Metra station, I spotted two record stores. I had a decision to make – rock-n-roll or college. Is there really any question?

(To be continued . . . Tune in tomorrow for my run-in with Rod Stewart's junk!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My best public transportation story has to be the time that a woman started petting me on the Brown line. At Fullerton she got onto the car and started mumbling something...I thought she was saying the word red, as in, maybe she was wondering if this was the Red line (which it wasn't). So, feeling extra friendly (and because I could tell she had some mental issues) I said "What?" to her a few times to make sure she meant to get on the Brown line. Then, all of a sudden she started saying "Pretty!" and petting my hair and shoulders! I managed to nicely get her to stop after a few more caresses and she moved onto other passengers who were not as nice. The poor guy next to me was so torn about whether or not he should step in with an, "Excuse me ma'am" which I thought was just terribly cute!

The Traveler said...

Whoa! I totally just spazzed out loud (which is like laughing and going "BAH!" or something) after that first sentence alone. And I've even heard the story before, it's just so insane. Petting!!!

johnnylockheart said...

I'm adapting this from a blog entry I wrote about this debacle shortly after it transpired. Sorry for the length, but I couldn't think of a good way to condense the tale.

My first-ever trip to California was for the 2004 Sunset Junction Festival in L.A. It was a fun day, but the night would eventually provide some unwanted adventure. I had made the fateful mistake of deciding to ride the bus to the festival, rather than renting a car and having to fight the L.A. traffic that I assumed would be horrific. The trip down to the festival went pretty smoothly, I got off the bus only about a block from where I needed to be.

Unfortunately, I was to discover that the intersection the Transit Authority website told me to go to to catch the bus back to the hotel was smack dab in the area blocked off for the festival! So after the show I traipsed off in search of another bus stop, and eventually did find one. The bus seemed to be running very late, but it finally did come. Unfortunately, it turned out that my bus driver was a last-minute substitute who was completely unfamiliar with the area. She turned down a street that had been blocked off for the festival, and it took her a good half hour to back out of there an inch at a time. Even when she got out, she still didn't know how to get around the detour for the festival. She called in to her base and they finally navigated her back onto the main route. By this time it was really late and I was dozing off. I was supposed to change buses at an intersection downtown, but even though I told the woman where I needed to stop, she passed it up before I realized what happened.

When I finally got off that bus, it was around 1:30 AM and I was walking through a deserted downtown L.A. with only derelicts and possible gang members for company. I finally got back to the intersection where my connecting bus was supposed to be, but it was of course deserted and I couldn't even find a stop that was labeled for the correct bus. There was also a vast underground platform for the light rail system, but I had no way of determining whether it could get me anywhere near the vicinity of my hotel. Getting ever more concerned for my life, I finally gave up and called for a cab. Just FYI, it's a $40 cab ride from downtown L.A. to the airport. At least I did get out of there with my hide intact, and was able to get a little sleep before flying back home the next day.

A hard-earned lesson about public transit in the land of swimming pools and movie stars.

Anonymous said...

You know in the UK we Don't even have double decker trains!

And the double Decker buses have lunatics on both floors - if anything the top floor is just where people go to smoke.

And soilders at Buckingham palace have a crap enough job without your help.

BFFFFFFHEHE Shiny Sword..... hehe