Monday, January 14, 2008

Silver Lining zine: Favorite Questions #1

Three favorite questions for . . .

Kristen Brown, Austin, TX, 32

1. What's one BOOK that has made your life better?
Books don't normally affect me very much, and I don't really have favorites. (I know, I must be a Communist or an alien or something.) BUT, The Mezzanine, by Nicholson Baker, totally rocked my world. I think about that book almost every day. It taught me that I am not the only person who thinks in footnotes (!!) and who notices the minutiae of life. And it reminds me how it is BEST to be like that, because then you never take any of life for granted.

2. What's one ALBUM that has made your life better?
I'd have to say that Disintegration, by The Cure, changed my life more than any other album because it was THAT album that made me understand the emotional power of music and fall in love with music in general. AND, Robert Smith is hot.

3. What's one way you can take lemons and make lemonade?
Recently I realized that instead of complaining and whining every time I had to sit in the Credit Union drive-though for 35 minutes (!!) every two weeks on payday, I would use that time to call my grandfather, or balance my checkbook, or make to-do lists, or do any number of other things I complain about never sitting still long enough to do!!

No comments: